Thursday, November 29, 2012

Strictly Speaking

 
I've lost some weight since I came back to San Miguel. Not enough that anyone would notice but still the trend line is going in the right direction. I can't say that I'm dieting but I've been eating more veggies and less animal protein and if I have been somewhere for comida I'll eat some fruit or a piece or two of cheese if I'm hungry later in the evening. I have some friends who are more or less evaluating a pretty strict diet....her more and him less...basically the diet that Bill Clinton is on because of his heart disease.  This diet is featured in Sanjay Gupta's documentary The Last Heart Attack.
 
I've watched the video and it does encourage me to make some changes in what I eat. One night this week I had wild rice, sweet potatoes and broccoli. Ned would have asked where was the pork loin. Last night I had broccoli and  a baked potato. Today I went with friends to the new restaurant at the Trinidad organic farm. I had a portabello, goat cheese and grilled zucchini sandwich and this beautiful salad of jicama, cucumber and red cabbage garnished with sesame seed and a light Thai dressing.
 
Strictly Speaking, I'm not on the heart healthy diet because I haven't gone the No Fat, No Dairy, No Animal Protein of any kind route and I doubt I will but I'm feeling pretty good. The problem is I've been stuck at the same place on the scale now for a week. Oh, well, I like veggies. It isn't a problem to favor them so I think I'll stick with it a while although I'm not totally giving up meat or seafood everyday of the week. Not sure how that resolution will survive with family and all the Christmas festivities but I will report back on my veggie challenge.
 


5 comments:

Babs said...

Looks lovely.......Enjoy

Steve Cotton said...

Whenever I come north, I usually put on about 20 pounds in a month. The reason is simple. I fall back into the American diet. The heat and fresh vegetables of Mexico always pull those pounds off. I need to get home. Soon.

Bob Mrotek said...

Billie,
I want you to try something. I "invented" it myself and I eat it every morning and I feel much better since I started doing this. I combine hot oatmeal with peas and raisins using just a tiny bit of sugar and salt. Don't laugh. It tastes great and it will keep you going strong all day.

Paul said...

That looks absolutely delicious! BTW, I will be in your area some time in March. I'd love to meet you. I'm coming to meet another blogger, whom I've never met before. He spends his winters there. His name is Niels: https://www.facebook.com/niels.henriksen?fref=ts

GlorV1 said...

Hi Billie. Sounds good to me. I did watch that video with Sanjay Gupta and very much enjoyed it. I like what you are eating, it's a good way to being healthy as can be. Hope you are doing well, take care and enjoy.